- 2 28-oz cans of plum or San Marzano tomatoes -- whole or chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- dried thyme
- dried oregano
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp sugar
1. Puree one can's worth of tomatoes in a food processor. If the tomatoes in the other can are not diced, pulse them in the processor until coarsely chopped.
2. In a 12" skillet, pour a slug of olive oil (about 4 Tbsps) over medium heat. Add minced garlic, dried herbs, and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Let simmer in olive oil for about 30 to 45 seconds until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes and sugar, then stir to combine with the olive oil and aromatics. Lower the heat to low and simmer for about 15 to 30 minutes -- depending on the amount of time you have.