From Burden's Landing
Experiences trump things.
Custom gifts are awesome, and they're easier in this day of cheap automation and the Internet.
Other good sources:
Baby and/or New Parent
- From Cindy Alvarez: Amazon.com gift certificate (baby items on Amazon.com tend to be cheaper than other online sites) + Amazon Prime account (waiting a day for baby goods more convenient than having to go out and shop for them)
- Basket of small, very useful things like medicines, glass milk bottles, diaper ointment, etc.
- "Diaper cake": tower of diapers shaped like a wedding cake (Seventh Generation size 1s for a green option for newborns)
- Portable changing pad
- Blankets, including swaddle blankets (e.g., Kiddapotamus swaddle blankets) -- good to have at least 2 to 3
- Moby Wrap
- Breastfeeding pillow (Boppy or Brest Friend)
- Favorite children's books, even if they won't be used for a while. (e.g., Peter Linenthal's black and white books which are good for baby's first book)
- Prepared meals
- Elissa Pignati started a business called, By Baby that takes decorative molds of handprints and footprints.